Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Story Behind The Shot #1: Diana Wong


Photo Credit: Diana Wong

I recently came across Diana Wong’s excellent series of pictures from the WFMU Fest. One in particular (the one above, as a matter of fact) really grabbed hold of me and I couldn't stop thinking about it. It’s a perfectly captured moment and definitely punk rock. It’s also the inaugural entry for the brand-new ILYT series "The Story Behind the Shot.” (The young man having a bit of stomach trouble is the drummer for Pissed Jeans, a hardcore band out of Allentown, Pennsylvania and Friday night's headlining act.)

A senior at Columbia University, a self-taught photographer, and a native New Yorker, Diana already has a good deal of professional experience. She has shot for The House List and 'Sup Magazine, and contributed to Interview, The Fader, Papermag, and more. She recently took some time to talk about how she made the picture and answer a few questions.

I Like Yellow Things: Describe what was happening when you took the picture.

Diana Wong: I was right at the front, to the side to avoid the pathetic mosh pit fanatics (there was a parting-of-the-sea moment, where a stage diver jumped into an empty floor). Mark Korvette, the singer, had stuck his shirt into the front of his jeans and started to swing his hips around. The bassist and guitarists were also coming close together, and I thought, "Yay! Group jam photo!" (as in, a photo where the entire band is engaged with each other, really into the moment). So I was already zoomed into the action center of the stage and suddenly the drummer stops, leans over his kit, and starts spewing. I somehow snapped the shot right at the moment with the heaviest flow of vomit.

ILYT: Did you anticipate this moment just before it happened (was there any way to?) or were you shooting "in the moment"?

DW: There is no anticipating projectile vomit. I was simply lucky, finger on the trigger.

ILYT: How many shots were you able to take?

DW: I had maybe 5 subsequent shots, but this one was exactly the moment when he let it all out.

ILYT: What camera settings do you use? Do you tend to stick with the same settings while you're shooting, or do you change them?

DW: I use the widest aperture, and I vary the shutter speed accordingly. Since club shows usually don't have camera restrictions, I can photograph throughout the entire set and play around with settings and angles.

ILYT: Deciding whether to use flash in low-light situations definitely isn't easy. Without a flash, the picture would have had a completely different aesthetic feeling. How do you decide when to use a flash? Also, do you prefer on-camera or off-camera flash?

DW: I try not to use flash at live shows because I think it bothers everyone. Moreover, you don't really get the mood of the moment. For instance, during the WFMU fest, I was photographing Cold Cave's set, and the band was completely and unforgivingly bathed in red light. I debated using flash, but decided not to because the shots wouldn't convey the moodiness of the band. Though I risk sounding too cerebral on the matter, I'll say this: I recently encountered a quote from Cartier-Bresson, his advice to readers of Photography magazine in 1955: "And no photographs taken with the aid of flashlight either, if only out of respect for the actual light - even when there's not any of it." But in the case of this photo, the light was really magenta at the moment, and I needed to use my flash (Speedlite 580EX). Sometimes it's just technically necessary.

ILYT: Any advice for photographers when it comes to taking better concert photos? What's something that's essential to keep in mind when shooting?

DW: You need a fast lens—a minimum of f/2.8. When you're taking photos, you should try to capture "the moments": action shots, jumps, cool poses, expressive faces... Easier said than done, I know. And finally, you should look at music magazines, concert photography blogs, and Flickr for photographers who really inspire you.

Pissed Jeans - I've Still Got You (Ice Cream) (courtesy of Sub Pop)

No comments: